About Online Banking
About Online Banking
Enhancing your security for Online Banking – MDI Authentication
FirstOntario Members who use Online Banking have an increased authentication feature, called MDI Authentication.
This increased authentication process is designed to safeguard your information while still allowing you convenient access to your online information. Set-up is simple – just follow the prompts provided after initial login.
What is Increased Authentication?
Increased authentication provides a Two-Factor, Two-Way Authentication solution:
•Two-factor because it authenticates each member based on username/PAC and the specific computers they use to log-in, thus assuring Access Credit Union that a legitimate member is seeking access.
•Two-way because it authenticates the site to the member with visual PassMarks - an image chosen by the member - thus assuring the member that they are at the real banking website.
When you log in to access your online banking, you’ll be brought to a separate login page and asked to set up your account with Increased Authentication before proceeding.
What are the benefits of increased authentication?
We are committed in our efforts to safeguard Members from fraud and online crime, and the new increased authentication feature is one way we’re making Online Banking even more secure.
1. Increased Authentication makes it possible for you, the user, to make certain you are on the right website by showing you a picture and a phrase that you entered when registering. This protects you from fraudulent “phishing” schemes that can mimic the banking system and steal passwords. Those other sites won't know your secure picture and phrase. Learn more about phishing here.
2. Increased Authentication adds more ways to verify your identity, making it harder for an online thief to gain access to your account. If you aren't at a registered computer, the banking system knows to ask you an extra security question whose answer would be known only by you.
3. Increased Authentication also makes it possible to set-up your home computer to identify itself to the banking system, speeding up your login process while still maintaining an enhanced level of security.
How Do I Set Up Enhanced Security?
1. Log in as you have in the past, by entering your Card Number and then entering your Personal Access Code (PAC). Members cannot set-up increased authentication using mobile web. It must be set-up using the regular MemberDirect site. Once increased authentication has been set-up on the MemberDirect page, it will display the security image and caption when using the Mobile Web version as well.
2. You will be requested to select an image and a security caption - select an image you will recognize the next time you Login.
3. You will be given a group of challenge questions. You will have to choose three questions and provide answers for the questions.
By clicking the “Register this computer” box you can register your personal computer so that we recognize it is you. When you Login from a computer that is not registered, we will ask you one of the 3 challenge questions just to make sure it is you trying to access your account.
Note: You should only register your computer if you are the owner or sole user of the computer (such as your home or personal work computer). DO NOT register a shared work or public computer.
4. Log in as you have in the past, by entering your Card Number and then entering your Personal Access Code (PAC). Members cannot set-up increased authentication using mobile web. It must be set-up using the regular MemberDirect site. Once increased authentication has been set-up on the MemberDirect page, it will display the security image and caption when using the Mobile Web version as well.
What Happens Next?
On your computer: Every time you log in to online banking on your own computer, you will see the image and security caption that you chose. If you don’t see this, you know it’s not the authentic MemberDirect site.
On a shared computer: If you log in to a shared computer, (i.e. at a library) you will be asked one of the three challenge questions. Once you answer one question correctly and enter your online banking PAC, you will be allowed to access your account.
If you have any questions regarding the new enhanced security procedures, or; if you forget your image, security caption or answers to the security questions or if you accidently lock yourself out of online banking by answering the security questions incorrectly, please call the Member Solutions Centre at 1-800-616-8878.